Developer forum

Forum » PIM » Unable to Import CSV file to PIM group

Unable to Import CSV file to PIM group

Dynamicweb Employee
Brian Zawistowski

I am trying to import a CSV file to a PIM Group on a site running version 9.9.6 but I am unable to get past the Source screen because the "Table / sheet" value is not populated.  I am able to complete an import using an Excel spreadsheet.  I have reproduced this on two different sites running 9.9.6.  Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Select the CSV file

Source type is correctly selected

No Table/sheet value is selected nor can one be selected

Replies

Søren Jensen Dynamicweb Employee
Søren Jensen

Hi Brian,

The "Table/sheet" are "dimmed" and not accessible, because a CSV file can not contain that. It's only available with Excel files.

I have testet with importing a CSV on my DW9.9.6 solution, and it seems to work correct

BR

Søren

Dynamicweb Employee
Brian Zawistowski

Hi Søren,

After typing all this up, I tried deleting the original CSV file that I imported and then running the import on the second CSV file.  After the original file is deleted, I am able to import the second CSV file using any of the Import configurations.  The text below will explain how I reproduced the issue.

Thanks for the reply but I don't think that is the case.  I went to a test site (9.9.0) that has never had a PIM CSV import and here is the behavior I saw:

The first time I run a CSV Import, I select a file and the Source file type, and when I get to the Source screen I see this:

You will notice that the Table /sheet field shows the name of my CSV file.  I am then able to continue with the import, save the configuration, and successfully import my CSV file.  If I try and import a second CSV file (BZ-test2.csv), when I get to the Source file type screen I have an additional selection available that was not there the first time:

I now have three options to select for Import Configuration (I saved the configuration as "MyTest" during my first import) :

If I select "Nothing selected", the Source screen has nothing listed in the Table /sheet selection and I can't move forward because of this error:

If I select either of the saved configurations, MyTest or TemporaryConfig, the Source screen shows my first CSV file as the Table/ sheet regardless of what CSV file I am actually importing and shows the column layout for my first CSV file.  I am unable to import any other CSV file.

Tim Eddings

Hi Soren,

We are on version 9.9.6 and having this exact same issue going on when trying to import users into a user group.

Any resolution or work around for this?

Thank you,

Tim

Søren Jensen Dynamicweb Employee
Søren Jensen

Hi

I have sent it to our support department, and they will investigate it ..

BR

Søren

Tim Eddings

Hi Soren,

After looking at this a little closer, I think the issue has to do with the TemporaryConfig.xml file that gets created auto-magically in the Files/Integration/Jobs/Personal/10/ folder when a configuration is not saved. This file has the tableName (name of the csv file) in it.  When a subsequent import is attempted from a csv file with a different name, either (1) the import routine is trying to use the existing TemporaryConfig.xml file (with the wrong tableName) even when no configuration is selected, or maybe (2) the import routine is trying to overwrite the existing TemporaryConfig.xml file and cannot (and is not bubbling up an error message).

If I delete the pre-existing TemporaryConfig.xml file, I can then run the import routine as expected with a differently named csv file.

Thanks,

Tim

You must be logged in to post in the forum