Developer forum

Forum » Hosting » Loading DLLs from a directory outside the webroot.

Loading DLLs from a directory outside the webroot.

Arnór Halldórsson
Arnór Halldórsson

Hello,

So we have a problem where we are trying to load DLLs from a virtual directory in the IIS. Our instance is setup so we have a clean release package as our webroot, no extra DLLs in the /bin folder, instead we have a directory outside our webroot (but on the same machine) containing those custom DLLs (custom checkout handlers and such) and a virtual directory named Customizations pointing to that outside directory in the IIS.

In our web.config in the webroot we have a simple assemblyBinding to the virtual directory:

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<probing privatePath="Customizations" />
</assemblyBinding>

but it turns out that this only works for physical directories under your webroot (which is what we are trying to avoid).

My question is, can you, load DLLs, from a directory outside the webroot in the IIS? Or am I forced to change our build process so that the DLLs under Customizations are moved into the /bin in the webroot during the deployment process?

Best regards,
Arnór

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Arnór

It would be nice to be able to do this using IIS - but I do not think that is possible. We made many attempts over the year to have custom libraries for custom assemblies, but with not solid luck.

So my best bet is to copy to bin - not as sweet as your solution above...

BR Nicolai

Votes for this answer: 1

Arnór Halldórsson
Arnór Halldórsson

Ahh ok, well thank you for the quick response :)

You must be logged in to post in the forum