Developer forum

Forum » Hosting » Backup and Database

Backup and Database

Jan Sangill

Hi,
I have run into an issue when trying to set up backup for an azure app account. I got files working easy - but the database, it requires a connection string - where you have to type a name and a value etc.

I have attached a screenshot of it.

Anyone have any idea what to put in name and what to put in value?

I know this is not a DW issue - but was hoping there was a kind soul in here:>

//jan

connectionstring.PNG

Replies

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

You don't *have* to configure that here. Instead, you should modify the GlobalSettings.aspx file and configure your connection string there. That's the easiest way. As an alternative, you could implement a IDatabaseConnectionProvider as discussed here and pull the connection string from your Azure configuration: https://doc.dynamicweb.com/forum/dynamicweb-9-0-upgrade-issues/dynamicweb-9-0-upgrade-issues/global-asax-in-dw9-connectionstring-in-webconfig

Jan Sangill

I have no issue getting the site to run.

Its the backup I have to set up with database in portal of azure - I need to specify a connection string thats set up in application settings in portal.

I just dont know what to enter in the above screenshot field of name and value

Imar Spaanjaars

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your question. Does this give you what you need? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/web-sites-backup

Jan Sangill

Hi Imar,

I did find that before, but I am having issues with this:

"For a database to appear in this list, its connection string must exist in the Connection strings section of the Application settings page for your app."

And it is the connection string I need to fill out in the screenshot attached. I just dont know exactly how they want it.

Does the name matter? The value is that just the connectionstring to DB in globalsettings?

Imar Spaanjaars

I guess the name doesn't matter. What I think happens here is that Azure backup is able to follow your app's connection strings to figure out what to backup. In your case, the web.config isn't used for the DW connection string. However, I guess there's nothing that prevents you from creating your own one. Just add it to web.config as instructed, provide a name, and maybe it just works?

Jan Sangill

Imar, it was me that made it harder than it was. I simply had to name it "something" - and then put a valid connectionstring in value. Case solved. 

I thought it was something different that needed done.

Imar Spaanjaars

Ah, that makes sense,,,,;-)

You must be logged in to post in the forum