The Product Catalog
In Dynamicweb Ecommerce your products are organized in Shops and Product Groups, both of which are located under the Product Catalog node in the Ecommerce tree (Figure 1.1).
This article aims to provide you with a quick overview of all the features and concepts related to the product catalog:
- Shops are containers for product groups and products. A number of settings are used to configure how the shop works, or to preconfigure how e.g. images are assigned to products in the shop.
- Product groups are containers for products, and are used to organize them in various ways. A number of settings can be used to enrich the product group, or to set default values for products placed in the group.
The product list is used for many of the daily tasks involving products:
- Creating & deleting products
- Searching products
- Activating or deactivating products
Two special product lists – All products and All Ecommerce products – exist outside of the regular shop & product group structure (Figure 1.3).
These lists have a limited scope, and are primarily used to locate orphaned products and add them to a product group – or simply to quickly search the product catalog.
The following colour indicators are used in the All products-list:
- Greyed out products do not exist in the current working language
- Red products are inactive – activate them by right-clicking them and selecting activate or by clicking the little red inactive-icon on the list
- Products with a red background are not members of a product group – right click the product and select add to group to add them to a group
Other products – black-text & white background – are active in the selected language and is placed in at least one product group on the solution.
A product in a list can be clicked to open the product details – this is basically an interface for viewing and editing various product fields, like the Name, the Price, the Description, etc. (Figure 2.1).
Product in Dynamicweb are very rich objects, so some of the properties & tools on the product page will not be relevant on all solutions – and when you need e.g. industry-specific data or an external ID, you can create various types of custom fields for storing that data.