Related products are products which are, well, related to a product in some way - they are displayed on the product page in a separate section, as in Figure 1.1.
The nature of the relationship - e.g. Wheels for this bike above - is defined under a relation group. Relation groups are typically solution-specific, which means that you have to create a new set of relation groups for each project.
To create a relation group:
- Go to Settings > Ecommerce > Product catalog > Relation groups
- Create a new relation group (Figure 1.2) and name it
- Click Save and close.
Once the relation group is created, you can use it to add related products to a product:
- Go to the Ecommerce area and open the product details for your product
- In the ribbon bar, click Related products to open the related products interface
- Click Add related products and select your relation group (Figure 1.3
- Mark the products that should be shown as related products
- Click Save and close
Now, the products index must be rebuild. Because this is a brand new relation group that you've just created and want to use, you must build the index manually to index the new relation group as well - the auto-build index functionality doesn't register new relation groups.
- Go to Settings > Repositories > Products
- Open the Products index
- Rebuild one of our instances (Figure 2.2)
- Save and close
If you've only added new related products using an existing relation group, then the relation group is already registered. Therefore, if your shop is set to auto-build the products index when products are updated, then you don't need to do anything.
If the auto-build is disabled on your shop, then you must still rebuild the index manually.
This rebuild accomplished two things - the product relation is indexed, and the new relation group is indexed and can be added to the summary field used to query for related products:
- Scroll down to the Fields section of the index page
- Locate the Related product search field
- Click it to open the field definition window
- Add the new relation group to the list of source fields (Figure 3.1)
- Click OK
Once the new relation group has been added to the summary field, rebuild the index again.
Now open the product page in frontend - you should see related products rendered under the relation group name, as in Figure 4.3.