Developer forum

Forum » Integration » Scheduled Task Locking db EcomOrders Table and Holding Frontend Hostage

Scheduled Task Locking db EcomOrders Table and Holding Frontend Hostage

Shawn Tehini Dynamicweb Employee
Shawn Tehini

Hi,

Please see attached video reproducing issue.  

We are seeing the following behavior:

When impersonating a customer and on the frontend and you go to change who you're managing, there are three outcomes to that click. 1) The click is fast and timely. This happens when there are no items in the cart of the customer. 2) The click is a few seconds slower, but still timely. This happens when the customer has items in their cart. 3) The click on the frontend happened to be at the same time as the Import Orders job run and the frontend is held hostage until that job is finished.

The Order Provider seems to be causing a blocking query, causing everything else that depends on EcomOrders (including carts, lookups to addresses on the cart, etc.) to be locked. The scheduled task is utilizing the "Import data with custom request add-in".  

Has anyone run into this issue?  It is causing performance issues across sites.

Thanks, 

Shawn

Replies

Dmitriy Benyuk Dynamicweb Employee
Dmitriy Benyuk

Hi Shawn,
Sorry but your video is not avaible, could you upload it somewhere else and share a link?
What amount of oders/order lines are you importing and with what frequency?
Maybe you can run the task during late hours so it shouldn't block lots of users.
BR, Dmitrij

Shawn Tehini

Hi Dmitriy, 

Thanks for the reply.  My video is shared below again, does that download for you?  I also emailed to you directly.

We are running in off hours as a workaround for now but a higher frequency of order syncing is something our customers expect versus a nightly update.  The workaround helps for now but hoping we can break the lock on the db while the scheduled task is running. 

Thanks, 

Shawn

Steffen Kruse Hansen Dynamicweb Employee
Steffen Kruse Hansen

Hi Shawn,

We have tried making a fix for this problem, and the fix is available in the newest release of our Dynamicweb.Ecommerce package on NuGet.org https://www.nuget.org/packages/Dynamicweb.Ecommerce/1.10.70.

Let us know if you still experience the problem.

Best regards,

Steffen

Shawn Meach Dynamicweb Employee
Shawn Meach

Hi Steffen, 

Thanks for this fix.  We have tested on 2 sites and all is looking to have corrected the issue. 

What is the Work Item ID is for this development?  It looks like it’s in Dynamicweb.Ecommerce and not per provider, so it probably benefits all providers.

Thanks, 
Shawn

Dmitriy Benyuk

Hi Shawn,
the item no is 2674.
BR, Dmitrij

Shawn Tehini

Thanks Dmitrij!

Shawn

Shawn Tehini

Hi Dmitrij, 

Checked out that Item No and it is for the caching.  Do you have the Item No for the locking fix?

Thanks, 

Shawn

Dmitriy Benyuk

Hi Shawn,
Sorry. Yes, it is now edited/updated, so read my previous post again :)
BR, Dmitrij

Shawn Tehini

Thanks again then :) !

Shawn

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

We are experiencing similar issues with CustomerImport. We get frequent timeouts when the customerimport is runing. Both in frontend and backend. 

Was this fix only for the Order provider?

Regards / Aki

Nicolai Pedersen

This fix was related to orders, yes.

sql timeout or script timeout?

Have an exception?

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Sorry, a bit vague perhaps. :) 

SQL TImeouts. Attaching an example. 

Regards / Aki

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

Nicolai Pedersen

Thanks for clarifying :-)

What destination provider are you using?

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

User Destination.

We have a number of those and I can see that some of them have the same time to run. Thats propably not good....

Regards / Aki

Dmitriy Benyuk

Hi Aki,
do you have a buge amount of users importing when the timeout occurs?
Can you measure how many records are you trying to import?
BR, Dmitrij

Niels Foldager

I have also seen the same timeout error when importing users and they need to be placed in several different user groups. When using Sql Server Profiler, I have seen a number of major updates being made to the AccessUser table. Each update contains 1000 users and can therefore occur many times if there are many thousands of users and many user groups. This seems to be the main cause of the timout.

update AccessUser set AccessUserGroups = IsNull (AccessUserGroups, '') + '@ 336005 @' where AccessUserUserName IN ('XXX', 'YYY', 'ZZZ' etc. 997 users ....) and (not AccessUserGroups like '% @ 336005 @% 'or AccessUserGroups is null);

Best regards
Niels Foldager

Nicolai Pedersen

The error and stack that AKI has posted, I think we have a possible solution for following the same approach we made with the similar problem with orders.

It is a change to how data is queried in our userrepository in Dynamicweb.Security.dll. I have made the change, will commit it, and then it needs to go through QA.

@Aki: You can get a pirate copy to try out if you want.

BR Nicolai

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

@Nicolai  That sound good, yes please. Worth trying. 

Regards / Aki

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Hi,

@Nicolai is there any ETA on the fix in the Dynamicweb.Security.dll? 

Regards / Aki

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Hi,

Sorry about the nagging but is there any progress in this @Nicolai, we are really having trouble with this one.

Regards / Aki 

Nicolai Pedersen

Find the assembly attached.

The nuget package will also get updated some time next week. QA is partially OOO because of vacation, so there is a little waiting time.

BR Nicolai

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Excellent! Thanks. 

Regards / Aki

Scott Forsyth Dynamicweb Employee
Scott Forsyth

Hello,

This issue has come up again for the User provider when we upgraded to 9.14.9. 

Source Provider = XML
Destination Provider = User

When the data integration job is running in the backend, the frontend of the site locks. In particular, even the homepage doesn't work. I assume that we are doing something with the user, even showing a 'Welcome {name}'. 

Has something changed or reverted with the user provider? While it wasn't ideal, the solution in the past was to have WITH (NOLOCK) on the database calls to ensure that it doesn't lock the site during imports. 

To repro, you can do a large import of users. While it's importing, test the site on the frontend and it should spin and wait for the data integration job to complete. This happens whether it's called from the regular scheduled task, or if you run it manually. 

Scott

Dmitriy Benyuk

Hi Scott,
There were no significant changes in the UserProvider from the last time. The problem is that I could not get it reproduced, tried on old Rapido and Swift with latest 9.14 (I had just one AccessUser table in the mapping.). Do you have a solution url where it occurs? Could you run the sql profiler or sql query for getting a list of locks (https://stackoverflow.com/a/57358842/725497) on the tables during the job is run?
Maybe it could show where it stucks.
BR, Dmitrij

Lars Hejgaard Sørensen Dynamicweb Employee
Lars Hejgaard Sørensen

Hi Scott,

Based on your observations, do you think this is exclusively related to the User provider? I'm asking because a couple of weeks ago I had an incident, where a product import (using the Dynamicweb provider) that normally once each night and runs for 20-25 minutes went completely bananas and ran every 2-3 minutes. It ate up all available memory on the server so everything was inaccessible. After resetting the IIS and running the job manually things appeared to be back to normal.

Did you notice anything strange in the integration log?

Br.

Lars

Scott Forsyth

Thanks Dmitriy for trying to reproduce this and for looking into it. Since you say that you can't reproduce it and nothing has changed in the user provider, I'll spend more time on my end narrowing it down. I have a consistent repro that I can work with so I'll narrow it down further. While it's important to me, I may not get an hour or two to focus on it for the next couple days, but I'll reply back as soon as I have further info.

Lars, it's possible that it's not the user provider, but I know that it happens when running a schedueld task that called a data integration job with the user provider as the destination provider. When it happens, CPU and memory aren't working hard, but it follows the pattern from the past where the frontend is locked.

That said, I'll follow yours and Dmitriy's suggestion to check the integration log and narrow it down further. Maybe it isn't specifically due to the user provider. I'll reply back.

Scott 

Scott Forsyth

Ok, I've figured out the issue (not the solution).

Dmitriy, it's not the same locking issue, although it is with the user provider job which I believe is because it clears the cache.

Lars, it does appear to be most commonly with user provider, but because it does more cache busting then other providers (I haven't tested to find out which provider does what, but I know that some other providers run without any impact to the frontend).

It appears to be an assortment issue, causing the 18 second load whenver the data integration job runs. We have 360,285 EcomAssortmentItems, and each time the user provider job runs, it appears to clear the cache and re-load the entire EcomAssortmentItems table (SELECT * FROM EcomAssortmentItems WITH (NOLOCK)). That takes 18 seconds to load on the frontend while the user waits.

I don't remember this being a problem with prior versions so it may be an update to assortments that is causing this to come up now.

Here's a video showing the impact and confirmation what's happening: https://app.screencast.com/InKB35jGNXU8N 

I realize this is not integration related anymore, but are there any ideas what we can do about this assortments impact?

Thanks,
Scott

Lars Hejgaard Sørensen Dynamicweb Employee
Lars Hejgaard Sørensen

Great investigation, Scott! I'll run it by the dev team :-)

If this is urgent, my suggestion would be to use the DW provider to populate the raw tables and build the index in the end. I know, you can't associate users and groups using native ERP keys, but if you do an initial import to a staging table, you can join that with AccessUser in a view to look-up AccessUserId or whatever keys you need, and then use the view in your source provider.

Br.
Lars

Scott Forsyth

Hi Lar,

Thanks for both: running it by the dev team, and the short term solution suggestion. That makes sense and we'll do that as a workaround for now. We use ExternalId as the primary key  which maps between the ERP and DW, and that works with the Dynamicweb provider, so we may not have too many things to consider (maybe the auto generated password or something, but we'll figure it out). 

Thanks!

Scott

Dmitriy Benyuk

Hi Scott,
the problem in the UserProvider was fixed and you can get a new 3.0.10 version of it from Nuget.
BR, Dmitrij

Scott Forsyth

Thanks Dmitrij! Great timing since we're just getting ready to go live and I wasn't looking forward to redoing those with a different provider. This is just what we need.

Thanks,

Scott

You must be logged in to post in the forum