Developer forum

Forum » Integration » Numeric to float

Numeric to float

Tobias Belling

Hi.

I recently ran into an issue, where I used an SQL Provider as the source and a Ecom Provider as the destination. The issue was, that the source had a numeric(28, 12) and the destination seems to be a float. I think that Dynamicweb doesn't understand the datatype that the source have (numeric).

I got following error: Job Failed with the following message: cannot parse '102.1' to a double. Table: EcomPrices. Column: PriceAmount

A temporary fix is manually change the xml file regarding the integration job (where the field is located):

Type: System.Double
sqlDbType: Float

I just have to manually change it everytime I make changes, which is far from ideal.

Replies

Dmitriy Benyuk Dynamicweb Employee
Dmitriy Benyuk

Hi Tobias,
that is because numeric sql type corresponds to .NET decimal type: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/data/adonet/sql-server-data-type-mappings.

And now there is no conversion implemented in Data integration from source types other than string to .NET int/long/double/etc.

You can try to use the TableScript functionality and write your custom conversion code from "numeric" to "double" so in the ProcessInputRow method you can
assign your row["NumericColumn"] = (double) your DecimalOrNumericValueConvertedToDouble so in that way there will be no need to make any conversions as your source and destination columns will have same type (double)
Regards, Dmitrij

Tobias Belling

Hi Dmitriy.

I have already tried to make a TableScript, where I tried to cast the value to either double or float but it didn't work. I still got the same error.

This is my code:

public class ProductTableScript : TableScript
    {
        public override string ScriptingName
        {
            get
            {
                return "C5 InventPrice";
            }
        }

public override void ProcessInputRow(Mapping mapping, Dictionary<string, object> row)
        {
            if (mapping.SourceTable != null)
            {
                var column = mapping.SourceTable.Columns.FirstOrDefault(c => c != null && c.Name.ToLower() == "Price".ToLower());
                if (column != null && row.ContainsKey(column.Name))
                {
                    var value = row[column.Name].ToString();
                    var culture = CultureInfo.GetCultureInfo("da-DK");
                    var test = float.Parse(value, culture);
                    row[column.Name] = test.ToString("#.##", CultureInfo.CreateSpecificCulture("en-US"));
                }

column = mapping.SourceTable.Columns.FirstOrDefault(c => c != null && c.Name.ToLower() == "PRICEUNIT".ToLower());
                if (column != null && row.ContainsKey(column.Name))
                {
                    var value = row[column.Name].ToString();
                    row[column.Name] = float.Parse(value).ToString();
                }
            }
        }
    }

Best regards, Tobias

Dmitriy Benyuk

Hi Tobias,
try:

row[column.Name] = double.Parse(some string value);
instead of storing the string value.
Regards, Dmitrij

Tobias Belling

Hi Dmitriy.

I tried doing:

row[column.Name] = double.Parse(row[column.Name].ToString());

I got an error message similar to the other one: Job Failed with the following message: cannot parse '40' to a double. Table: EcomPrices. Column: PriceAmount

Best Regards,
Tobias

Dmitriy Benyuk

Could you add this in the begginning of your code to change the type of your source decimal column to double:
var priceColumn = mapping.GetColumnMappings().Where(cm => cm.SourceColumn != null && cm.SourceColumn.Name == "Price").FirstOrDefault();

if(priceColumn != null && priceColumn.Type != typeof(System.Double)){
priceColumn = new Column(priceColumn.Name, typeof(System.Double), priceColumn.Table, priceColumn.IsPrimaryKey, priceColumn.IsNew);
}
And do the same for another "PRICEUNIT" column
Regards, Dmitrij

Tobias Belling

I tried to change the code for price and priceunit to:

var columnMapping = mapping.GetColumnMappings().Where(cm => cm.SourceColumn != null && cm.SourceColumn.Name == "PRICE").FirstOrDefault();
                if (columnMapping != null && columnMapping.SourceColumn.Type != typeof(System.Double))
                {
                    var priceColumn = new Column(columnMapping.SourceColumn.Name, typeof(System.Double), columnMapping.SourceColumn.Table, columnMapping.SourceColumn.IsPrimaryKey, columnMapping.SourceColumn.IsNew);
                    row[priceColumn.Name] = double.Parse(row[priceColumn.Name].ToString());
                }

columnMapping = mapping.GetColumnMappings().Where(cm => cm.SourceColumn != null && cm.SourceColumn.Name == "PRICEUNIT").FirstOrDefault();
                if (columnMapping != null && columnMapping.SourceColumn.Type != typeof(System.Double))
                {
                    var priceUnitColumn = new Column(columnMapping.SourceColumn.Name, typeof(System.Double), columnMapping.SourceColumn.Table, columnMapping.SourceColumn.IsPrimaryKey, columnMapping.SourceColumn.IsNew);
                    row[priceUnitColumn.Name] = double.Parse(row[priceUnitColumn.Name].ToString());
                }

I got the following error: Job Failed with the following message: cannot parse '40' to a double. Table: EcomPrices. Column: PriceAmount

Best Regards,
Tobias

Dmitriy Benyuk
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Tobias,
that is because we have forgot to update the column in the mapping to the new column, the final code should look like that:

public override void ProcessInputRow(Mapping mapping, Dictionary<string, object> row)
{    
    if (mapping.SourceTable != null)
    {
        var columnMapping = mapping.GetColumnMappings().Where(cm => cm.SourceColumn != null && string.Equals(cm.SourceColumn.Name, "price", System.StringComparison.OrdinalIgnoreCase)).FirstOrDefault();
        if (columnMapping != null)
        {
            if (columnMapping.SourceColumn.Type != typeof(System.Double))
            {
                var priceColumn = new Column(columnMapping.SourceColumn.Name, typeof(System.Double), columnMapping.SourceColumn.Table, columnMapping.SourceColumn.IsPrimaryKey, columnMapping.SourceColumn.IsNew);
                columnMapping.SourceColumn = priceColumn;
            }
            row[columnMapping.SourceColumn.Name] = double.Parse(row[columnMapping.SourceColumn.Name].ToString());
        }    
    }
}

Regards, Dmitrij

Votes for this answer: 1

Tobias Belling

Thank you for the help.

It seems to work ☺

You must be logged in to post in the forum