Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » TinyPNG "integration" in Dynamicweb

TinyPNG "integration" in Dynamicweb

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi

Would be really useful if Dynamicweb could use TinyPNG for image optimization, just as a bunch of the competing CMS do

https://tinypng.com/third-party

/Hans

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Hans

Yes, that would be nice, but we see no demand for it so I do not think it will prioritized.

Do you face any specific issues since you need this?

BR Nicolai

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Just seems to save a lot of diskspace and optimize performance, while maintaining quality. Something we have not been able to achieve as good results otherwise.

/Hans

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi Hans,

I've been struggling with optimizing images a lot lately but I cannot complain about the current method built in Dynamicweb as it has been improved a lot lately and quite frankly, I believe the only missing part is the lossless compression.

At least the performance analyzers don't detect any lossless compression on the images the way they are rendered by default and all of them require some in order to give a good score.

@Nicolai: I am not sure if the component you are currently using supports lossless compression, but if it does, it might be a good addition to it.

Of course, there are other ways to optimize images and image loading. Using CDNs or using lazy load services. But I believe that's outside of the Dynamicweb solution scope. Probably more related to the cloud hosting Dynamicweb is offering than to core functionality of the solution.

Adrian

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi Adrian

What is your typical setting? We found when we get to low enougj weight (Kilobytes), the quality is not good enough in comparison to what we can achieve in TinyPNG.

/Hans

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi Hans,

On the solutions we host locally, we use a server component that is called IIS Speed which is licensed per server.

That's basically solving the lossless compression and some minifications.

If the current resizer in DW would have lossless compression, you would get pretty good quality for decent file size.

For me, that lossless compression would help me get rid of the IIS Speed.

But I agree it might not be easy to add it to the current component if it's not supported.

In the meantime, the license for IIS Speed would be lower compared with what you would pay to use TinyPNG's engine, especially if you have a site with a lot of traffic and a lot of images.

Adrian

Nicolai Pedersen

@Adrian: PNGs and GIFs uses lossless compression, jpeg uses Lossy compression.

What is being chased? Good pagespeed scores? Or something else?

Usually using GetImage with the reasonable parameters, compression of all ressources, decent implementation and other stuff can give you great speed scores. See the latest Rapido Google Pagespeed score attached.

I agree that GetImage is not as hardcore on the margins as other image compressors/resizers, but it is close. And usually other things in the implementation has a much bigger impact on the scores. 

BR Nicolai

Capture.PNG