Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » Minimize need for editors to clear browsercache after version changing a solution

Minimize need for editors to clear browsercache after version changing a solution

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi

We experience costumers have problems with solutions after a version change - probably most due to assets such as css and js files being cached. Believe it or not, alot of our clients don´t know what browser cache is, and sometimes it can take quite a while guiding them through the process on the phone - and often this brings a lot of frustration for the costumers.

Couldn´t most of this be avoided, if you added eg the date the file was saved to the reference of the backend master file? So that instead of having eg:

<link href="/Admin/Resources/css/main.min.css" rel="stylesheet"> 
and 
<script src="/Admin/Resources/js/layout/main-functions.js"></script>

You would get something like

<link href="/Admin/Resources/css/main.min.css?FileSavedDate=ddmmyyhhss" rel="stylesheet"> 
<script src="/Admin/Resources/js/layout/main-functions.js?FileSavedDate=ddmmyyhhss"></script>

And the FiledSavedDate parameter would read the datestamp on the referred assets, so that the browser wold always fetch/use. the assets belonging to the specific versions?

This would save us some hassles - spare the costumers from frustrations -  and undoubtably also result in fewer support cases for Dynamicweb Support, because I can imagine some of the cases you get are related to caching.

This should be an easy fix.

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Hans

Yes, we also have support cases on this regularly, so that would be a benefit to do so. It should be easy for many parts of the system. Will look into this

Thanks, Nicolai

Martin Vang
Martin Vang

Hi Hans,

Thank you for the feedback - I also think we can improve this aspect of working with Dynamicweb.

I've created this request in TFS as backlog item "Epic 47527: Remove need for clearing the browsercache in admin".

BR

Martin