Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » Index folders on File Index Builder

Index folders on File Index Builder

Mario Santos Dynamicweb Employee
Mario Santos

Hi,

On most of the projects that we have implemented the File Index Builder (instead of FilePublishing app) customers requested to list the subfolders of the current directory. We have developed it using C# methods, although it could have some performance impact depending on the number of folders.

Would it be possible to add the folders to the index document? And maybe a setting on the builder to skip/add folders?

Thanks,
Mario

Replies

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

+1

Nicolai Pedersen

I do not understand the question.

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Nicolai,

I guess the purpose of the feauture is to render the folders as "lucene documents", as if it was a file type.

Doing so, we could build a File Publisher feature with folder navigation showing (i.e.) 10 items per page, regardless if they were folders or files. That allows us to show the "contents" of a folder (including subfolders), much like an OS in lists, icons,... (which we currently can only do with the File Publisher App) and still keep the flexibility of repositories (queries, facets,...)

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Nicolai Pedersen

So in the file index there are files and folders? So a folder would be kind of a file type?

We could easily do that but it would be a little messy and I am not sure it will give what you want as the index is flat and folder structures are not.

You could operate with 2 paragraphs and 2 apps in one page - one file publishing app for folder structure and one query publisher for file list. The folders will provide folder navigation for the file list in the query publisher.

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Nicolai,

>> So a folder would be kind of a file type?
Yes

>> I am not sure it will give what you want as the index is flat and folder structures are not.
Using the "Directory Relative Path" we can. We already managed to filter by it (similar to what we do with Product and groups)

>> You could operate with 2 paragraphs and 2 apps in one page - one file publishing app for folder structure and one query publisher for file list. The folders will provide folder navigation for the file list in the query publisher.
We've done it and that's exacly what we'd like to avoid, having to set up and maintain 2 paragraphs to do the work we could have with just 1. We're not currently looking to replace the File Publisher completely (i.e. file upload is not something we expect to replace), but having this folder navigation is fairly common, and doing it with 1 paragraph/template instead of 2 is simpler.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar