Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » DataList Provider for Data Integration

DataList Provider for Data Integration

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi,

It would be great to have a DataList source provider for Data Integration, so we could export data into excel, csv, xml or even to another table in SQL (SQL/Dynamicweb provider).

Data lists area a great and flexible way to get data output to multiple locations, but I miss a simple way to get a set of data from the database and export it to excel or csv.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Replies

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

+1

Also, related to DataLists, ihave 2 more things to add:

1. Currently, the lists are only exposed as XML. It would be nice to have them also exposed as JSON or csv

2. A more complex request but very useful (at least for us). The ability to delete records from the tables from the data list view. I know it is a complex request because data lista can be complex SQL query. But maybe make the option available just for the Designed Lists and make it unavailable for SQL based lists.

Adrian

Nicolai Pedersen

@Nuno: I would say a datalist is simply a table in the database... So SQL provider would be the same as a datalist...?

@Adrian: 1) yes, would be nice - maybe upcoming in later release. 2) not an option because of related records, foreign keys and all kind of things that would cause the feature to not work. Not without lots of potential errors, and you would nag us to the end of the world if there are things you cannot do...

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

Understood and agree with everything you said :)

Thank you,
Adrian

Nuno Aguiar

Hi @Nicolai,

It would be the same when we are using the Design Wizard, not a SQL Statement. Part of my scenario is this currently.

• Customer wants some specific, for example, report on Abandoned Cart Emails
    SQL statement can be found here https://doc.dynamicweb.com/forum/cms-standard-features/cms-standard-features/tracking-abandoned-cart-campaigns
  • I will be using Data lists to show him the orders that resulted from a Campaign
  • We will be developing a Dashboard that (instead of a Query), points to a Data List
  • In order to provide a downloadble version of that DataList, we either
    • Create a template (frontend) or handler - not very friendly since he's doing all of it through the backend
    • Create a custom module to do all of this - but it's a lot of duplicate logic between what Dashboards, DataLists and Data Integration already do
    • Simplest generic solution -> DataList Provider
      This allows us to either
      • Run the job manually to pull a report
      • Set a scheduled task to generate the report

Does this make sense?

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

I guess we have a very similar situation.
A custom report that can be based on a DataList and needs to be exported somehow, preferably from Dashboard.

Adrian

Nicolai Pedersen

Yes, I understand what you want. Problem is also that integration does not have all the context that datalist has - i.e. who is the current user, session, request etc. So all the funny parts will not work.

Nuno Aguiar

Hi Nicolai,

Yes, you are accurate. What we did as a proof of concept was to use the "test values" for those context values. If "in extremis" you can get that working like that, it would be great, since the user would something exported that actually relates to what he sees in DataLists.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar