Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » Custom App - sort of Item Publisher

Custom App - sort of Item Publisher

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi,

I am wondering if any of you built or can point me to a way to have a simple App where we could simply list, create and edit an Item Type.

Goal:

• Using CodeFirst, build an ItemType - ex: Notes
  • The App would then list all "Notes" (Select * from ItemType_Notes)
  • Clicking a record and/or clicking on "New", we'd be able to edit/create a new item

I know we can achive this with pages and paragraphs, but what I am trying to explore is to have a similar behavior in a custom App.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Replies

Vladimir Shushunov Dynamicweb Employee
Vladimir Shushunov

Hi Nuno,
there is very very similar functionality - called named item list.
Go to Content area -> open any page properties -> advanced tab -> Item lists.
Here you can create collections of any items and then use them as you want:

• NamedItemList.GetListById
  • NamedItemList.GetListByName

Best regards,
Vladimir

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi Vladimir.

That functionality is limited to 1000 records.

And from my past experience with customers, it's very unusable the way this list is hidden in the properties. It's like it was hidden on purpose so that nobody will ever use it :)

What Nuno is asking is something simple that can be used outside of the normal Pages and Paragraphs but in a very easy to use and accessible manner.

ItemLists may be the solution but not the way it is now implemented. Maybe moving the functionality in an App that can be attached to a paragraph or simply an App available only in the App section.
We have often found the need to give the admin the ability to edit various dictionaries than can, later on, be reused in other ItemTypes as values for Select lists (for example).

I agree with Nuno that this would be useful to have. We have tried building something in the past but the logic behind items changed very often and it was very hard to maintain it. It might be more stable now and maybe it makes sense to revisit the approach.

Thank you,
Adrian

Nuno Aguiar

Hi Vladimir,

Adrian expressed the same feeling I had. So to summarize:

• Named Item lists are very hidden
    Too many clicks away and you have to know where they live

• Named Item lists live within the context of a website
    So there's always some context - I am looking for some sort of context-less approach

• Currently we create a "website" called "Documentation Repository" and we create Pages/folders to store abstract lists of Items

Here's an example of how we built it, which is what we'd turn into basic Apps if we had a quick way to do this

https://www.screencast.com/t/vjWn7kpN0w

I'd be happy to then use the ItemPublisher or even develop my own _Edit.aspx files to turn them into a real app, but I guess the goal is to make this feel more professional with little effort (and also reduce the overhead to create some basic Apps).

Let me know if this makes sense to you. I'd be happy to explain it further if needed.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Vladimir Shushunov Dynamicweb Employee
Vladimir Shushunov
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi guys,

Well, I agree, it has sense.
I will ask someone to move thread to feature request

Best regards,
Vladimir

Votes for this answer: 1

Nuno Aguiar

Hi Vladimir,

Perfect, thank you. That would be extremely helpful and come in handy :)

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi

any news or new plans on this? I am currently having trouble of building a solution that requires a large amount of items

/Hans

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Hans

No plans on this currently.

Sorry!

BR Nicolai