Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » Assortments with Units

Assortments with Units

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi,

We have a B2B project where we need to setup Units in assortments, meaning, an Assortment may have to only work with a given Unit for a specific product/variant.

This seems like a fairly common business logic (at least in the USA), in which case, if Assortments could support that would be great.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

"They say this is normal..." Who argues like that.... Working too close with the Americans? smiley

You can just create the units as a variant group and handle it that way.

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Nicolai,

"Working too close" cheeky

> You can just create the units as a variant group and handle it that way.

Can you elaborate? Because Units are already "variants" in the database for Dynamicweb, it's just a "special" Variant Group and the UI and API treat it differently.

If I understood you correctly, you're suggeting we create a Variant Group and call it "Units" (instead of using DW units) is that it?

We want to keep the data as cleanly as possible, as if we were to introduce all of the data manually in the backend of Dynamicweb.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Nicolai Pedersen

Yes, that is what I suggest.

Melissa Borgmann
Melissa Borgmann

+1 for allowing variant and/or unit records in assortments

Nicolai Pedersen Dynamicweb Employee
Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Melissa

Variants is possible - but it is not a small task as there are many potential bugs related to it - i.e. if you list only master products and show the variant selector on the detail page - that alone contains a wide range of issues that we need to handle. That is not easy.

Lets say a product comes in colors and sizes and 2 different units - and you add only Read, Small, and one unit to the assortment - then what shoukld be on the product list, variant selctor and unit selector would require a lot of limitations - and could also be a performance issue.

So not a small task...

NP

Melissa Borgmann
Melissa Borgmann

Thanks for the quick response on an older thread, Nicolai!

I understand it's not a simple undertaking - just noting it isn't an abnormal request from B2B customers and as you mentioned, very difficult to solution around in a clean way. So +1 for the feature request :)

Ideal example data below where a purple shirt is for some silly reason only available to super special customers.

• Parent Product A (Shirt)
    • Variant 1 (Red)
    • Variant 2 (Blue)
    • Variant 3 (Purple)

• Assortment 1 (All customers)
    • Parent Product A_Variant 1
      Parent Product A_Variant 2

• Assortment 2 (Special customers)
    • Parent Product A_Variant 3