Developer forum

Forum » Feature requests » Access local DW site through IP address

Access local DW site through IP address

Rune Skovbo

An Umbraco site can have a setup where you can see the site in the browser by typing the developers local IP address followed by a port number. This means that you can test your local site on other devices without having to deploy every little change you make.

It would be really nice to be able to do this on DynamicWeb sites as well!

(Case: 0029073 for reference)

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Rune

You should be able to do that in DW also. Just make sure you have the right binding in IIS and assign the IP as a hostname to the website you want it to hit.

See my dumps.

BR Nicolai

Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG
Votes for this answer: 1

Rune Skovbo

Hi Nicolai

Thanks for the quick reply!

Hmm, we tried that (see case for details), but with no luck. does this have anything to do with DW8 vs. DW9? (We tried in DW8).

If not then we must have missed something or have some internal limitations.

/Rune

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Rune,

You can do that with Dynamicweb as well. Install your site in IIS on the development machine. If you install it as the default web site and open up the firewall, you should be able to browse to it by IP address. Otherwise, you'll have to give it a (fake) domain name so you can differentiate between the sites on your machine.

Hope this helps,

Imar

Votes for this answer: 1

Rune Skovbo

Thanks both - we will give it another go :-)

/Rune

Rune Skovbo

Hi again, so yes - the above solution works - Thanks!

We would, however, very much like the option to also setup another port than 80, so that we can access multiple sites - each on different port numbers.

makes sense?

/Rune

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Rune

You could use a thing like localtest.me (website) instead. We use hosts file internally.

BR Nicolai

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

localtest.me (http://readme.localtest.me/) wouldn't work as it points to the local machine always which means if you try it from a device (as per the original post) it won't go to the web server but to the device.

But port numbers should work, shouldn't they?

Nicolai Pedersen

Yes, you are right. did not see the other machine part. But yes, portnumber should work...

Rune Skovbo

But we tried that without luck. We wrote it like: 10.0.10.100:80 but it was not working.

Could you try it locally?

Rune Skovbo

Any luck getting the above to work?