Developer forum

Forum » Ecommerce - Standard features » what is the best way to make list of link to files on a product?

what is the best way to make list of link to files on a product?

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi

On a product in ecommerce, we want to create a solution where the editor can make links to different files as a part of the product. A link is constructed by a text on the link and a path to the file we are linking to.

Now if I was to do this in Items, then I would use the Item relation to be able to create a list of links to files and text on the link itself. But it appears that in eCom, I can only make "standalone" fields, and not "paired" fields, that the editor could create as many instances of as they want. Is this my only option, or does somebody have some other recommendation/trick to how this can be achieved?

/Hans

Replies

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi Hans,

I usually create an itemtype with an item relation list and on the item relation list, I use the Product field to connect with the right product or products.

The listing on the product page can be done with ItemPublisher using a filter based on the ProductID.

This way I can add a text description for the field and even a category for the download file.

I can send you the ItemTypes definitions if you think it's useful for your case.

Adrian 

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi Adrian

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, we have tried similar things like that before, but we found it was always problematic for the editor, when we connected two separate things  It was too unnatural for the editors, and therefore we have never really been successful in achieving a solution that the client was happy with unfortunately.

A field of the type item relation field on the product would solve this and open up many more options, but that is perhaps too complicated to develop?

/Hans

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi Hans,

The product detail page in the back-end is pretty hard to extend. I have noticed DW has added in the newer version something that looks provider based for calculated fields. Maybe that will open the way to more extensibility in the future.

Until then, this approach is the only one I can think of.

Adrian

You must be logged in to post in the forum