Developer forum

Forum » Dynamicweb 9.0 Upgrade issues » Rapido CSS is not updating

Rapido CSS is not updating

Gheorghe Balan

Hi

I am facing a challenge with a Rapido project where the .less and .css auto-generated files are not being updated.

As far as I understood from the documentation they should be compiled run-time - however this is not the case.

I am not getting any errors of any kind, so I don't know where to begin to look for a fix.

Any ideas ?

Br

Gheorghe

Replies

Lars Larsen
Lars Larsen

Hi Gheorghe

Have you tried to go into the backend and edit the website settings and hit "SAVE AND CLOSE"?

Gheorghe Balan

Yes - I did - I also read all the documentation on the topic.

Steffen Kruse Hansen Dynamicweb Employee
Steffen Kruse Hansen

Hi Gheorghe,

Can you see if the following files are updating, when you save Website Settings:

- Files/Templates/Designs/Rapido/css/rapido/_variables_1.auto.less (I just assume, that you use the default website, therefore '_1')

- Files/Templates/Designs/Rapido/css/rapido/rapido_1.min.css

Typically if an error occur, the first file will update, but the second will not. When this happens it's normally related to something in the less-files. If you look in the backed under 'Settings/Logs/System/Log', you should see some files in a folder called 'LessCompiler'. These should tell you, what problems the LessCompiler encountered.

I hope this helped you.

Best regards,

Steffen

Gheorghe Balan

Hi Steffen

You are right - it is regarding the default website - an no - neither the .less nor the .css files are being updated. There is an error in the log

2018-09-24 16:16:53.2289|ERROR|LessCompiler|Something went wrong doing the Less file compilation. See exception for help 
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 
at Dynamicweb.LessCompiler.Compiler.RenderVariables(Area area) 
at Dynamicweb.LessCompiler.Compiler.OnNotify(String notification, NotificationArgs args) 

It looks like a generic NullReferenceException - it would be nice if it told me exactly which value wasn't set.

So basically I know there is an error compiling the less variables - but I still don't know how to fix it. 

Some fields are not filled out - but it should be possible to leave them empty - like some of the text fields, and some of the background images...

Br

Gheorghe

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Gheorghe

I do not think it is a field that does not save correctly - it looks more like missing less config files or something like that.

Anyways - attached an updated version of the less compiler (Dynamicweb.LessCompiler.dll) that has additional logging. If it is a field, it will bypass the broken field and log the field name to the log file. If it is something else, you should also get some more precise pointers.

Copy this to your solution and try again.

BR Nicolai

Votes for this answer: 1

Gheorghe Balan

Hi 

Thank you for the reply and the assembly. It turns out the issue was caused by another bug related to deleting items.

In short I created a custom website settings item at some point - that inherited from Website settings in Rapido. Later on I deleted the item, but it only deleted the xml schema, not the table.

The less compiler was compaining about the table - once I removed it and put the dll you sent in - it started to work again.

But it was really cool to actually see what the error is - maybe this feature should be included in future releases if it isn't already (I am on version 9.4.13)

I will look into the issue with items and open another thread if it persists and I cannot find a fix to it. 

Br

Gheorghe

You must be logged in to post in the forum