Developer forum

Forum » Dynamicweb 9.0 Upgrade issues » Error when searching order in Internet Explorer 11

Error when searching order in Internet Explorer 11

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi guys,

Just upgraded to 9.4.11.

I know this issue might be the cause of the incompatibility with IE11 but I report it just in case it isn't.

When searching orders in back-end, regardless of the field or keyword, you get the attached error.

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: parameter

I totally understand if the solution is not meant to be compatible to IE 11. But in this situations, please display a warning banner saying that the browser is not compatible. It saves all of us of a lot of trouble.

The customer who reported this, has around 30 back-end users. After the upgrade, all of them started calling HQ reporting errors and it took a while to figure out it is a IE specific error. If the banner would have been displayed, they would have understood upfront and used another browser.

Thank you,
Adrian

IE_Error.png

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Duely noted.

They would understand already that nothing works using IE11... :-).

Adrian Ursu

:)

Indeed. But I have found companies forcing the users to use IE as corporate standards. Some of them even forced into IE8 compatibility.

Not the current case though.

Thank you,

Adrian

Adrian Ursu

Hi Nicolai,

It seems that this errors shows up also when accessing a page from front-end.

I could not replicate it but I have seen it on one of our customers's customer computer. The user used IE11 to access the front-end and normally, that should not be an issue. It worked before upgrading to 9.4.. Please don't ask me why they are using IE11. This customer in question is Coca Cola Romania. They have a few hundred users all complying to their IT environment rules.
I cannot convince them that IE 11 is crap and they should not use it. Not can I convince them that an application upgrade stops working with IE11.

Please, point me in the right direction so I can sort this out.

Thank you,

Adrian

Adrian Ursu

Just to clarify how to reproduce it.

Go to the backend, go to orders, try to search for anything. It will render the error.

I know that the backedn is not IE11 compatible. But we have seen the same error rendered when accessing the front-end.

I have tested in 9.4.4 = OK, 9.4.10=Not OK, 9.4.11 = Not OK

Thank you,
Adrian

Adrian Ursu

It seems that the error is caused by posting empty parameters like ?=

My assumption is IE sends them forward (and probably .NET framework does not like it) while Chome and Firefox ignores them and they never get to .NET framework.

Please let me know if you have any idea how to solve it.

Thanks,

Adrian

Adrian Ursu

A bot more debugging on the page in backend (the form on Orders)

Shows that the form contains a few inputs without the name attribute or with an empty value for it.

In our tests, supplying values for name, solved the issue.

I have attached a screenshot with the inputs in question.

I hope this helps.

Adrian

Screen_Shot_2018-05-21_at_15.01.15.png

Nicolai Pedersen

Thanks, but we do not do hotfixes for IE 11

You must be logged in to post in the forum