Developer forum

Forum » Development » Where do I put my C# files

Where do I put my C# files

Oscar Romin
Oscar Romin

Hello!

I was following this tutorial https://doc.dynamicweb.com/training-certification/t3-platform-developer/t3-platform-developer/3-3-extending-ecommerce and it tells me to create a file, but where do I create a file? In Files? Maybe I'm stupid but I can't seem to find where you are saying it. 

Best regards, Oscar

Replies

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars
This post has been marked as an answer

For those examples, you need to use Visual Studio, create a Class Library project and then add references to the various Dynamicweb assemblies that are needed. Then you can create new files by right-clicking the project and choosing Add | New Item | Class. You then need to compile your code and deploy the resulting DLL to your site. So, you can't just simply create a C# file on the server directly.

Hope this helps,

Imar

Votes for this answer: 1

Oscar Romin
Oscar Romin

Hey Imar,

Thanks for your help but some things are still unclear. How do I compile my code and deploy the dll to my site? Do I publish the whole solution, including the project including the Files folder as well? Because I can't simply publish the class library. Is there another way?

And then where do I put my dll? Do I just create a reference to it like every other dynamicweb dll or do I import it from the adminpage somehow? Just making sure before I do something crazy.

Best regards, Oscar

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Oscar

What is your background - have you ever developed anything in Visual Studio - web projects with MVC or anything? Just to know where you are coming from.

BR Nicolai

Oscar Romin
Oscar Romin

Yes, I have an MVC background. 

Just after I posted this I realized that when I build the class library a dll appears in its bin folder. Is that it? I'm so rarelly inside there so I forgot about it. 

Oscar Romin
Oscar Romin

Yes, I seem to have gotten it to work now. Thanks for your help guys! Great and fast support team! :)

You must be logged in to post in the forum