Developer forum

Forum » Development » Templates for VS 2017

Templates for VS 2017

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Hi guys,

Can I ask for some renewed attention for the templates for Visual Studio 2017 and Dynamicweb 9? I really liked the previous implementations as they gave you a great overview of all extensibility points that were available. Since those templates don't work on VS 2017, and they haven't been updated for Dynamicweb 9, they have become mostly obsolete for me now, which leads to a lot more time setting up new projects and extensibility code than in the past.

Happy to send beer or chocolate if that helps to speed things up ;-)

Thanks!

Replies

Mikkel Ulstrup

+1 

Kien Tran

+1

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

+1

Rui Silva

+1

Imar Spaanjaars

Looks lke they are there now: http://doc.dynamicweb.com/downloads/other-downloads#4047 Haven't tested them yet though...

Imar Spaanjaars

I think I cheered too soon. They may be for DW 9, but they don't seem to work on my VS 2017 installaton. Getting this:

12/7/2017 8:15:40 AM - Searching for applicable products...
12/7/2017 8:15:40 AM - Found installed product - Global Location
12/7/2017 8:15:40 AM - Found installed product - ssms
12/7/2017 8:15:40 AM - Found installed product - ssms
12/7/2017 8:15:40 AM - Found installed product - Visual Studio Professional 2017
12/7/2017 8:15:40 AM - Found installed product - Visual Studio Professional 2017 (2)
12/7/2017 8:15:40 AM - VSIXInstaller.NoApplicableSKUsException: This extension is not installable on any currently installed products.
   at VSIXInstaller.App.GetInstallableData(String vsixPath, Boolean isRepairSupported, IEnumerable`1& skuData)
   at VSIXInstaller.App.Initialize(Boolean isRepairSupported)
   at VSIXInstaller.App.Initialize()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi Imar,

Did you ever get this to work?

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Anders Ebdrup
Anders Ebdrup
+1

Imar Spaanjaars

Nope. They are DW 9 templates for VS 2015, and can't be installed on VS 2017

Niels Foldager

+1

Mikkel Belchuke
Mikkel Belchuke

+1

Tobias Belling

+1

Casper Rasmussen
Casper Rasmussen

+1

George Nelzo Pereira

+1

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi All

Sorry about the looooong delay on this topic. We have tried for a long time to get this out the door. But we run into an issue that we cannot solve.

Anyways - I have now released a version of the Dynamicweb templates for Visual Studio 2017 that you can download here:

http://doc.dynamicweb.com/downloads/other-downloads#4047

ISSUE: When you install it, and add new items from the Dynamicweb folder, you will see duplicate items in the list. These duplicates also exists as subfolders. See dump#1. You can see the wrong ones because they have a wrong icon. If these bastards are chosen, you get an error. If you choose the right one, everything works as expected. This is an issue that we have tried to solve many times, and now give up - and give you a version with the error in it. Will buy a case of beer to whomever can tell us what the error is!

Other solution: You can also install templates for VS2015 in VS2017 by following these steps:

1. Download DynamicwebTemplatesDW9.zip from the above link
  2. Unzip it and you get a files called "DynamicwebTemplates.vsix"
  3. Rename the file extension to zip so the file is called DynamicwebTemplates.zip
  4. Open the zip file and copy the extension.vsixmanifest file to your desktop
  5. Open extension.vsixmanifest in notepad
  6. Update the line <InstallationTarget Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Community" Version="[14.0]" /> to <InstallationTarget Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Community" Version="[15.0,16.0)" /> (Yes syntax with ending ) is correct!
  7. Save the extension.vsixmanifest file and Copy it back to the zip file
  8. Rename the zip back to .vsix and run the installation
  9. It will possibly tell you that the VSIX is not compatible with VS2017. Just click ok to that, and the templates will install.

Either of these 2 options will give you templates, I hope!

Any feedback or great ideas, let us know!

Thanks, Nicolai

Capture.PNG

Rui Silva

I just tested the "Other solution" and it worked in my local machine!

Thanks Nicolai

Imar Spaanjaars

I could fix some of them (see dump) by renaming the folders (prefixing the parent folder like AdminUrlProvider) and recompiling the vsix. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for all. I'll keep investigating...

2018-01-17_8-56-54.png

Nicolai Pedersen

Nice :-). How on earth did you figure that out??

Imar Spaanjaars

Sheer coincidence. I noticed one that worked started with the name of its parent folder. 

I am still looking into this; hopefully I can find a fix for it.

You must be logged in to post in the forum