Developer forum

Forum » Development » Specific earlier Nuget package versions unavailable(?)

Specific earlier Nuget package versions unavailable(?)

Ronnie Poulsen
Ronnie Poulsen

Hi all,

I am in the process of cleaning out an existing Dynamicweb project. As a part of that I have been messing around in the .gitignore file, to have it filter out any unwanted Git tracking. I.e. I don't want the /packages folders to be tracked by Git, since the Nuget packages should just be restored according to the packages.config files, when loading/building the project the first time on a new developer machine.

Now after I pushed these changes to the repository and freshly cloned it again to my machine, I am getting the following errors when trying to restore the Nuget packages.

NuGet Package restore failed for project Dynamicweb.eCommerce.LiveIntegration: Unable to find version '9.3.12' of package 'Dynamicweb'.
NuGet Package restore failed for project Dynamicweb.eCommerce.LiveIntegration: Unable to find version '1.3.12' of package 'Dynamicweb.Ecommerce'.
NuGet Package restore failed for project CategoryFacetCreator: Unable to find version '1.4.7' of package 'Dynamicweb.Ecommerce'.

The problem seems to be that we are referencing 'Dynamicweb' v9.3.12 and 'Dynamicweb.Ecommerce' v1.3.12 and v1.4.7 which for some reasons are not available on the DW Production Nuget source. Closest versions available are 'Dynamicweb' v9.3.13 and 'Dynamicweb.Ecommerce' v1.3.14 and v1.4.70.

This leads me to my question: WHY in the world are Dynamicweb removing specific versions of their Nuget packages?? They have obviously been available back, when this project was built. There are numerous versions of these Nuget packages available, but not the ones I need. What would be the reasoning behind this? How can I know if it is safe to update the Nuget packages to next version?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

Jeppe Eriksson Agger Dynamicweb Employee
Jeppe Eriksson Agger
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Ronnie,

This is an artifact of the way packages used to be handled.

Previously, all Dynamicweb packages were hosted on MyGet.org. Even to their paying customers, like us, they offer limited storage space. That meant that once in a while, the space on MyGet would be used up and we'd have to delete packages in order to release new ones. Since then, we've moved our production packages to NuGet.org where no such space limitations exist. Going forward, we will not remove packages from NuGet, but unfortunately, we do not have the old packages to release on NuGet.org, so for these packages specifically, you have to update to newer versions.

- Jeppe

Votes for this answer: 1

Ronnie Poulsen
Ronnie Poulsen

Hi Jeppe,

Thank you very much for your answer which makes sense. But I think it should be possible to get a hold of what ever version of the packages, that you would need backwards. Aren't you saving all earlier versions in your internal repository? 

Anyway. I was hoping that I would be able to copy the Nuget packages from an earlier commit in our repository and then put them in the project folder, but that didn't work for me. So the solution must be to include the Nuget packages in the Git index.

Thanks again.

/Ronnie

Jeppe Eriksson Agger Dynamicweb Employee
Jeppe Eriksson Agger

Hi Ronnie,

While we do save old versions of Dynamicweb as archives internally, we actually don't have an internal repository for packages - we relied on MyGet for that. You could argue that we should have had that as well, but unfortunately, the damage has been done.

I would recommend that you update the project to use packages currently on NuGet as they won't disappear. There are versions going fairly far back, so you should be able to find a version close to the one you're missing.

- Jeppe

Ronnie Poulsen
Ronnie Poulsen

Hi Jeppe,

I understand. There's nothing we can do about that now. But you're right - we should update the packages. But for now I am just including the packages in the Git index.

Thanks again.

/Ronnie

You must be logged in to post in the forum