Developer forum

Forum » Development » Index - Boosting field in summary extender?

Index - Boosting field in summary extender?

Mikkel Toustrup Olsen

Hey all,

This might be a pretty far fetched question..

However, we have implemented a group index by utilizing the SQL index builder which works quite well.

However, as we have multiple fields in the summary field we're using to extract data for the freetext search, the customer would like to boost one of these fields so the freetext search results reflects this.

Consider 2 fields in the summary field we're querying:

1. Synonym = "Some smart synonym"
  2. GroupName = "The best group name to date"

The customer would like to boost the Synonym field, so the results presented to the user are weighted off of the Synonym field in the summary first, and then the group name. Obviously if both fields contain somewhat the same data, the Synonym should have a higher "rank" ..

Is this possible, when the two fields are merged into one summary field? - My guess is no, but I would like your opinions/ideas on this matter.

BR Mikkel

Replies

Victor Letavin

Hi Mikkel,

If i correctly understood you - our index provider(Lucene) doesn't alow to boost part of summary field. So you can only extend your query with "or" expression for field you want to boost and set boots for the field much more then for summary field - it will work. Other workaround if you add field needed to be boosted to the summary fields multiple times as result it will have more weight.

BR, Viktor.

Francisco Mena

Hello Viktor,

Following your advice, I have added more fields to boost a particular field but the boost doesn't seem to do any work at all nor improve the search results. 
I have a solution in staging site and my field boosting works as intended but in the live site, these changes(which are the same as the staging site) doesn't seem to make any work in search results particularly in the field I am interested to boost.

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Francisco

You have to reindex after adding boost - that could be one issue.

Otherwise you have to provide some dumps of your setup of the fields and query to give us some insigt.

BR Nicolai

Francisco Mena

The field I am interested to boost is "varenr",  I purposely, boosted that field to 299 to see if the boost makes any significant changes but it doesn't. 

Regards 

Francisco

index-boost-results.gif index-boost.gif

Nicolai Pedersen

I need to see your query definition on that field as well.

I am not sure you want the field analyzed in this situation.

Also have a look at this explanation:_ https://doc.dynamicweb.com/forum/ecommerce-standard-features/ecommerce-standard-features/score-amount-on-product-search

BR Nicolai

You must be logged in to post in the forum