Developer forum

Forum » Development » Constraint: Newtonsoft.Json (= 8.0.3)

Constraint: Newtonsoft.Json (= 8.0.3)

Martin Grønbekk Moen
Martin Grønbekk Moen
Do you have any plans regarding updating the constraint of Newtonsoft.Json from 8.0.3 to 10.x.x?

Error Unable to resolve dependencies. 'Newtonsoft.Json 10.0.3' is not compatible with 'Dynamicweb 9.3.10 constraint: Newtonsoft.Json (= 8.0.3)', 'Dynamicweb.Core 2.1.0 constraint: Newtonsoft.Json (= 8.0.3)', 'Dynamicweb.Core.UI 1.0.6 constraint: Newtonsoft.Json (= 8.0.3)', 'Dynamicweb.Security 2.10.1 constraint: Newtonsoft.Json (= 8.0.3)', 'Dynamicweb.UI.Elements 2.2.5 constraint: Newtonsoft.Json (= 8.0.3)'.

Replies

Martin Vang
Martin Vang

Hi Martin,

Excelent question. Currently we have no plans for doing so. Can you explain why you need this reference updated? (we have referenced newtonsoft.json in ALOT of projects, and making a task for updating the usage in all of them is a bit daunting - and 8.0.3 is incompatible with 10.x.x).

BR

Martin

Martin Grønbekk Moen
Martin Grønbekk Moen

We have a few third party components that require 10.x.x, and it would be great to be able to use them.
Also we look into making a project using DW + Dotnetify/React (http://dotnetify.net/react/Installation) which require 10.x.x.

Would be great if the dependency was >= 8.0.3 and not =8.0.3, but as you say it is incompatible.
But I hope you strive to make sure DW is up to date with as many dependencies as possible, or else it will be hard to use any kind of third party components together with DW.

Martin Vang
Martin Vang
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Martin,

We will never be able to support you updating from newtonsoft.json from one major version to another major version. We made the requirement enforced to help you not try to update this package, as it will break everything in Dynamicweb.

Currently I see no possiblity for upgrading to newtonsoft.json 10.x.x until Dynamicweb10, as it will be a potential breaking change for all existing installations with custom code that use Newtonsoft.Json 8.x.x. I will look into making it possible to update within the same major version of our dependencies, for the dependencies that actually adher to semantic versioning, but I dont think this will in any way help you. The best I can do, is to discuss if we should make this change possible between minor version changes in dw9, with a clear release-note explaining the change.

BR

Martin

Votes for this answer: 1

Martin Grønbekk Moen
Martin Grønbekk Moen

Guess I will have to wait in excitement for DW 10.
Thanks anyway for taking the time to find out/explain :)

You must be logged in to post in the forum