Developer forum

Forum » Development » .NET Core 2.0 vs Dynamicweb

.NET Core 2.0 vs Dynamicweb

Martin Grønbekk Moen
Martin Grønbekk Moen

Have anyone tried to create a .NET Core 2.0 application integrated with Dynamicweb?

I tried to add the Dynamicweb NuGet package, and got this warning.

'Dynamicweb 9.3.10' was restored using '.NETFramework,Version=v4.6.1' instead of the project target framework '.NETCoreApp,Version=v2.0'. This package may not be fully compatible with your project.

Are there any .NET Core 2.0 compatible dlls for Dynamicweb?
The reason for this is that we are thinking about making a real time application with a very small footprint, connected with DW for using DW's integration framework, and ecommerce modules.

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Martin

There is no Dynamicweb for .NET core 2.0 yet. A lot of our stack has been semi prepared for the move, but we are still i.e. system.web dependent on all frontend related stuff like showing a product list, displaying a page etc. That alone makes it impossible to build against .NET core 2.

It is a really hardcore technical discussion. But generally speaking we are in the process of removing all our dependencies to .NET framework stuff that are not available in .NET core 2 and replace it with our own abstractions that can get providers to either platform. An example of that is Dynamicweb.Environment which is our abstraction of what we need from System.Web.

You will probably not see .NET core compatibility from us before DW10 - and migrating our userinterface to .NET core will be a major undertaking.

BR Nicolai

Votes for this answer: 1

Martin Grønbekk Moen
Martin Grønbekk Moen

Thanks Nicolai for a thorough answer.

I understand the implications on the frontend stuff, but in our example we dont want to use the frontend/content part, and only use the DW API for accessing indexing, and ecommerce functionality.
But I see that it is a huge undertaking to be completly .NET Core compliant. It is good to know that you have it in the back of your mind when developing DW further. It would be really great to have the flexibility to use DW in different ways.

You must be logged in to post in the forum