Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Tracking unique visitors

Tracking unique visitors

Martin Christensen

Hello,

is there or will there be a way to generate a session report showing unique visitors? Something like repeated visits within a period of time from the same IP would be useful information, since Google Analytics no longer displays IP information. IPs should be collected unless DW has explicitly been set up not to log this.

Best regards,

Martin

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Martin

Dynamicweb will track IPs unless you disable it. But it is against the GDPR regulations to do so without prior explicit consent. See the new tracking section here: https://doc.dynamicweb.com/documentation-9/platform/platform-tools/tracking

Also I think GA will track IPs unless you enable Privacy mode, see https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/9019185?hl=en

There is currently no report that show what you require - if you have an example in a screendump of what you are looking for, we can see if a report can be added.

You can do something like this:

This will find the first 1000 visits from visitors that are returning visitors in the past 30 days with more than 1 visit in the 30 day period (and less than 5 visits - usually your self)

select top 1000 * from trackingsession where TrackingSessionVisitorId in (
   SELECT TOP (1000) TrackingSessionVisitorId
   FROM TrackingSession
   where TrackingSession.TrackingSessionVisitorIsReturning = 1 and TrackingSession.TrackingSessionTimestamp > DATEADD(DAY, -30, getdate())
   group by [TrackingSessionVisitorId]
   having count(TrackingSession.[TrackingSessionId]) >1 and count(TrackingSession.[TrackingSessionId]) <5 
 )
 order by TrackingSession.TrackingSessionId desc

You can run this on a datalist or the SQL widget.
Votes for this answer: 1

Martin Christensen

Hi Nicolai,

I think this is what I need. I'm aware that consent must be gathered, but I appreciate you pointing it out.

I'll try configuring this in a SQL widget, thanks a lot!

Nicolai Pedersen

Well, the widget only has 7 rows... So maybe not the best option :-)

Martin Christensen

Ahh, I see. I've made a datalist for the client using your SQL query. Thanks again :)

I filtered out their internal IPs and certain TrackingSessionURLs that only their own employees can access.

You must be logged in to post in the forum