Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Save area is cleaning up DB tables

Save area is cleaning up DB tables

Mario Santos

Hi,

We have an item list (I know is deprecated) on an item set as area item. After we upgrade the solution to 8.8.1.18 once we try to update the area (a simple save and close without change anything) is cleaning up the area item and the item lists tables.

Does anyone have any thoughs on this? I've searched on known bugs with no luck.

http://screencast.com/t/p31OSJayR

Thanks in advance, Mário

Replies

Oleg Rodionov

Hi Mário,

I've tested the issue on upgrading from 8.6.1.11 to 8.8.1.23 (recently released) with simple item types and was not able to reproduce that, please find the proof - http://screencast.com/t/ny4U87aR06

Perhaps, the cause of the issue is complex item types of the solution. Could you please provide XML definition of the couple item types used (List definition and item type uses it) and point exact version of admin used before the upgrading (where the item definitions/content were created).  

BR, Oleg QA

Mario Santos

Hi Oleg,

Can you please provide me your email address so I can sent you the xml and the solution address?

Thank you, Mário

Nicolai Pedersen

Just add it here or create a case with servicedesk.

Thanks, Nicolai

Terri Donahue
Terri Donahue

Hi Nicolai,

The case number is 117156.

Thanks,

Terri

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

FYI: the same thing just happened to me on a DW 9.0.2 installation. Saved Area settings, an poof, they were all gone. Working on a repro scenario and then I can supply a backup of the site.

Imar Spaanjaars

Here's one way to reproduce it: http://screencast.com/t/4pJ5Ewn6d9oh

1. Validate that Website Properties in Area settings is pointing to a valid item type

2. Go into MC and edit that web site settings type. In my video I am deleting a field.

3. Edit the area settings again. In some cases, the item types were empty immediately (when clicking Item Type). In the video I had to bring up the Permissions dialog first before they would be cleared. Not sure if that matters.

4. Hit Save and Close. Since no items types are selected, the data gets deleted from the database.

Normally, when you manually unselect an item type you get a warning about the loss of data. However, in this case since the items aren't either selected to begin with or are deselected using JavaScript the warning never comes up and you lose your data.

Happy to supply a backup of this site if needed.

Imar

Oleg Rodionov

Hi all,

I was able to reproduce the bug described by Imar, thanks. Actually, it's enough to perform pressing on Cancel button in site item type form to lose the settings. The bug is reproduced in 8.8.1.23 as well until script loads on website launching, DW9 can be always failed after the site opening. I've created new TFS 27168 will be fixed on 881 and higher.

BR, Oleg QA 

Imar Spaanjaars

Great, thanks for getting it reproduced. Looking forward to seeing it fixed ;-)

Kristian Kirkholt Dynamicweb Employee
Kristian Kirkholt

Hi Mario, Imar and Terri

The problem TFS#27168 "Site/Page properties item type lost after cancelling in the site item type form" has now been fixed in version 8.8.1.25

You are able to find this build in the download section:

http://doc.dynamicweb.com/releases-and-downloads/releases

Please contact Dynamicweb Support if you need any additional help regarding this.

Kind Regards
Dynamicweb Support
Kristian Kirkholt

Kristian Kirkholt

Hi again

Was a bit to fast here. It was planned but still not done. Sorry.
I will announce the correct release when ready.

Kind Regards
Dynamicweb Support
Kristian Kirkholt

Kristian Kirkholt

Hi Mario, Imar and Terri

NOW problem TFS#27168 "Site/Page properties item type lost after cancelling in the site item type form" has now been fixed in version 8.8.1.27

You are able to find this build in the download section:

http://doc.dynamicweb.com/releases-and-downloads/releases

Please contact Dynamicweb Support if you need any additional help regarding this.

Kind Regards
Dynamicweb Support
Kristian Kirkholt

Imar Spaanjaars

Thanks for getting that fixed, Kristian. Is a fix for DW 9 coming as well?

Imar

Kristian Kirkholt

Hi Imar

Yes this is planned for Dynamicweb version 9.1.1

Kind Regards
Dynamicweb Support
Kristian Kirkholt

D W

I wanted to add a scenario that I ran into where this still happened on a 8.9.2.21 installation, just in case someone else ran into the same issue, and if it's still a bug that needs to be fixed.  I set up a backend user, but forgot to switch her User Type from Default to Administrator.  When she logged in, she was able to view and change a website property, but clicking Save deleted the entire Website Properties.

I haven't had a chance to reproduce it, but if you need me to I can.

Thanks!
Charles

You must be logged in to post in the forum