Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Navigation settings not working correctly

Navigation settings not working correctly

Nuno Aguiar Dynamicweb Employee
Nuno Aguiar

Hi,

I believe there's an issue with Navigation settings (although this is being detected in Swift). Consider Swift's Facets Paragraph/Column and the ability to enable Group Navigation. 
The label suggests Groups only, but the behavior is showing pages. This is not a problem, but got me confused for a bit.

Here's my repro scenario:

• We have a customer with 3 top level (ecom) groups called "Browse by Brand", "Browse by Category" and "Browse by Season"
  • We have up to 2 subgroups (Category and subcategory), but in the we'll only show up to 2 levels
    This is how we're rendering it - so far no problems - you can see the attached images
  • As you might imagine all products can be found by either "Browse by Categories", "Browse by Brands" or "Browse by Seasons"

The goal is to then in the Facets paragaph enable the Group Navigation to have the proper subgroups (2nd level groups) to be displayed, based on the user having navigated. For example, if he got in through Browse by Categories, the Group Navigation would only render the subgroups of "Browse by Categories"

• To do that, we edited the Item Type to allow Start Level to be 3
  • But when we select it, it's not honored
  • In the following screencast you can see how I can select Start level 1 and 2 and the navigation is updated accordingly
  • But when I select the start level to be 3, it behaves as if it was 1

https://www.screencast.com/t/ygvlB3Zp

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

2022-05-23_11-27-20.jpg 2022-05-23_11-27-59.jpg 2022-05-23_11-29-12.jpg

Replies

Tomas Gomez

Hi Nuno,

I experience a related issue. In the facet configuration of the Products page, checking "Enable Group Navigation" displays the website pages but not the Ecom groups. The "Navigation" facet displays the same pages as the main menu.

Do you know how to dispay the Ecom groups? Which settings should I configure? I have checked out the Swift_ProductListFacets.cshtml but there is no clue about where the navigation of the facet is fetched.

Regards,
Tomas

Tomas Gomez

Ping!

Does anybody know how to configure the "Group Navigation" in order to show the Ecom groups instead of showing pages?

Regards,
Tomas

Nuno Aguiar

Hi Tomas,

The problem is the NavigationSettings object that does not return the proper navigation with Ecom groups when there's a weird setting. It should be working with happy paths, but if you don't have some proper settings, it does not know how to traverse the tree and returns the root navigation (pages).

If you are customizing it, you may want to use the Group Services to do this instead.

Best Regards,

Nuno Aguiar

Tomas Gomez

Hi, Nuno,

Thanks for the reply. I found the weird setting, with the help of support :-)

The Level 1 of the navigation are the content pages, and the product groups are on Level 2. Maybe an explanation should be given at the documentation, as this issue creates confusion by the current sentence "Choose a start and stop level of the of the group navigation. This way you can control what facet groups that should be rendered" https://doc.dynamicweb.com/swift/setup-project/content-design/ecommerce-columns

Regards,
Tomás

Nuno Aguiar
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Tomás,

Yeah, I agree, and would even go further, saying that it needs to be more straight forward. Unfortunately it's how it works, but does require you to know some technicalities and/or rely on documentation to get it to work as intended, and that's not ideal.

Nuno Aguiar

Votes for this answer: 1

You must be logged in to post in the forum