Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Making Dynamicweb set no cookies at all

Making Dynamicweb set no cookies at all

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi

We have a costumer that wants to avoid setting any cookies, and simultanously avoiding prompting the visitor for cookie conscent. I see this is possible on various platforms, but I can not achieve this on Dynamicweb. As a minimum, it sets two cookies no matter what I do.

One is an ASP.NET cookie, and i understand that might be hard to avoid, as it´s an integrated part of the .NET framework as I understand it.

The other is a Dynamicweb Cookie. This should however be possible to avoid?

Anyone got any suggestions on how to handle this?

The main purpose for the costumer, is to avoid setting cookies and thereby avoid prompting for Cookie Consent.

/Hans

Replies

Morten Bengtson Dynamicweb Employee
Morten Bengtson

Hi Hans,

As far as I know the cookies which are necessary for the basic function of your website does not require any consent from the user.
In Dynamicweb the default behavior is therefore to allow functional cookies to be set without user consent - even when cookie manager is enabled.

Anyway, if you really want to avoid cookies then you can try this:

Enable cookie manager in Settings > Web and HTTP > Cookie Manager.
Set user notification to "Custom". This ensures that the user will never be prompted for consent, unless you have some custom logic for handling that.
Add all the cookies you want to prevent from being set to the list of tracking cookies or any custom cookie category. The selected cookies will not be set without a consent from the user.
Clear all cookies in your browser and visit the website front end to verify that cookies are not being set.

You probably also want to disable tracking and statistics in Settings > Web and HTTP > Tracking, since it will not work without cookies.
Some standard functionality might not work if you disable all cookies.

I don't think you can avoid the "ASP.NET_SessionId" cookie. At least you would have to implement your website in a completely different way - using static html and calling our web api to get the content you need.
You can see the documentation for the current web api by visting /dwapi/docs/ on your Dynamicweb front end. However, it is not stable yet (work in progress).

Best regards,
Morten

You must be logged in to post in the forum