Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » How to overwrite Canonical Link

How to overwrite Canonical Link

Lara Arsénio

Hello. I need to customize the canonical <link> in meta tags - adding the absolute URL instead of relative, and other specific change for product Pages.

How can I override it, given the fact that it is returned in a single field  "MetaTags" altogether with other meta information.

Notice that I did disabled the Setting "UseCanoncial" but the link canonical remains visible.

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Lara

You have settings in 2 places - the URL settings page and there is also a setting on the paragraph - see dump, and remove both to get rid of the canonical.

You can set your own canonical before the PageView.Output like this:

Pageview.Meta.AddTag("customCan", "<link rel=\"canonical\" href=\" + HttpUtility.HtmlAttributeEncode(Converter.ToString(Page.MetaCanonical)) & "\"">")
Capture.PNG

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Hi Nicolai,

We tried adding our own using Pageview.Meta.AddTag but couldn't make it work. Can we do that from a template or does it has to be from code like a subscriber?

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Depends on which template and if it is using tags or viewmodels... It should work if you do this from a ecommerce template on a paragraph. it will not work from a master template as that is executing and therefore already parsed the metatags...

And it has to have this:

Pageview.Meta.AddTag("customCan", "")
Votes for this answer: 2

Imar Spaanjaars Dynamicweb Employee
Imar Spaanjaars

Yeah, in the code I found the references to customCan so we used that already. But I am pretty sure we tried it in a master so that would explain why it didn't work. We'll try again in a different template.

Thanks!

Lara Arsénio

Defining the .AddTag("customCam") from inside ecommerce template / paragraph solved the problem.

Thanks!

You must be logged in to post in the forum