Developer forum

Forum » CMS - Standard features » Anyone else experiencing item permissions removing all values automatically?

Anyone else experiencing item permissions removing all values automatically?

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

We experience the problem of Item permissions occasionally being removed automatically by the system, without any interference by us or our cusomers, that we are aware of. This is pretty anoying and interupting for us and our clients. Anyone else experiencing this?

I can not say with 100% certainty that this is not triggered by some action in dynamicweb, but if  so - it is with certainty an unfortunate sideeffect of some apparantly unrelated action, somewhere else in the system.

/Hans

Replies

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Hans

Do you have item integration? That could mess with permissions if some item containers (pages or paragraphs) gets new IDs.

Is it the new or old permissions?

Apart from that, I am pretty sure those permissions are not deleted by Dynamicweb. We do not have other cases or have experienced something like that our selves.

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

No, there is no integration.

It is the settings on the items themself, in system settings. We set the items to be allowed on eg. Danish and English language layer and/or to be used as pages or paragraphs. Ant then occasionally all of these settings get "whiped out", and we have to set them again. I have not been able to figure out what causes this.

/Hans

Nicolai Pedersen

Ok, so it is not permissions on items, but restrictions on itemtypes?

Then it might be a deployment script.

Also check that item types are controlled by files only

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Yes, Sorry for getting the terms mixed up.

I have checked, and the solution that have a history of this happening to them, they have files checked on synchronize. What is the deployment script, and is this something that we can do anything about?

/Hans

Nicolai Pedersen

That would be when you deploy new files to the server. Or get them from a backup.

If you change the restrictions on the live site, and later upload the item type xml from your development or staging setup, the settings gets overridden.

BR Nicolai

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Ok, we never upload files to folder where the xml files for the items are. We do upload files to the templates/desings folders, but that should not cause this?

/Hans

Nicolai Pedersen

Not template uploads. Either an overwrite or someone saving over them.

Adrian Ursu Dynamicweb Employee
Adrian Ursu

Hi Hans,

We have experienced something similar when multiple developers worked on the same solution using local applications and a shared database.

If that's the case, maybe you can have a look at their settings and make sure the XML definitions are also synchronized.

Adrian

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Thanks Adrian

we are multiple developers working on the same solution, but the setup is so that we only upload to the template/designs folder, but never to the System/Items folder

And I can say for sure that this folder is not being overwritten by us or by our customers. It´s a mystery what causes this.

/Hans

Adrian Ursu

Hi Hans,

Regardless of where you upload, each local solution will have 2 conflicting sources for the Item information.

One source is their local Items folder and the other one is the database.

If you adjust the Permissions on items from a Centralized solution (let's call it master), the Items folder is updated and so is the database.

The moment one of the developers connects his local solution to the database, the database will be updated to the version of the local instance, hence resetting the permissions.

You need to keep the Items folder in sync if you want to allow this type of development or switch the Items definition to be Database only.

They should not Upload to the items folder but always Download from the master Item folder before they open the admin of the solution.

We had a lot of headaches with this type of configuration and I understand your pain :)

I hope this helps.

Adrian

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Hi Adrian

Thanks for your reply 👍🏻

But we don´t have the database downloaded locally, and do not connect to it remotely. The effected solutions arre standard solutions, and we only upload cshtml, css and js files to the Templates/Designs folder. So that should not interrupt the database.

/Hans

Adrian Ursu

Hi Hans,

I see. In this case, it's something different than what we have experienced. Since you are not configuring the solution locally, just uploading to the template folder should not affect the Item definitions.

I am sorry I could not help.

Adrian

Hans Ravnsfjall
Hans Ravnsfjall

Yes, it´s very mysterious.

under all circumstances, thank you very mutch for you time Adrian and Nicolai - and thanks for sharing  🙏

/Hans

You must be logged in to post in the forum