IceCat is a worldwide open catalog of product data sheets, with the data supplied by manufacturers and made available for mainly Product Information Management systems used by e.g. distributors, resellers, retailers, comparison websites, online shopping directories - and Dynamicweb customers!
As a Dynamicweb customer you can create a scheduled task which connects to IceCat and enriches a subset of your product portfolio with product information retrieved from their data pool.
Product information is retrieved based on:
1. EAN number
2. ProductNumber + ManufacturerID
Before you can create the scheduled task, you must create an index query which returns the products you want to enrich. What this query looks like depends on the PIM setup; in some cases it will return all products in a specific group called e.g. New products, in others it might return all products with a particular workflow state set, e.g. Ready for IceCat enrichment. Totally up to you.
Once the scheduled task is run, the product information about the products returned by the index query is saved to an XML file on disk. When the file has been saved, an integration job places the data from the XML file into Dynamicweb and voila – the products have been enriched.
To create the scheduled task:
- Go to Settings > Integration > Scheduled Tasks
- Create a new scheduled task
- Select the scheduled task add-in called IceCatIntegrationScheduledTask and configure it (Figure 1.1)
- Provide the username and a password for your IceCat account
- (Optional) Check import images to activate image imports – then:
- Select a folder for the imported images
- Select an asset category for the imported product images
- Select an asset category for the imported feature icons/texts
- Select the query returning the products you want to enrich
- Select a catalog content type – currently only XML is available
- Specify the output file location
- Specify the product portion size to process – please ensure that you only process as many products per run as your license allows
- Select an integration activity to run after retrieving the product data from IceCat - read more below
The data retrieved from IceCat is saved inside an IceCat.xml file, and from here it must be moved into the Dynamicweb database. This is done using an integration activity - you can read more about integration activities in general here.
In this case you want to create an integration activity using the XML Provider as the source provider and the Dynamicweb Provider as the destination provider.
- Go to Settings > Integration > Data Integration
- Click New activity
- Select the XML Provider as the source provider, then:
- Select the IceCat.xml file as the source file
- Select the IcecatProducts.xslt file as the XSL file – this file can be found under System/Integration/OpenCatalog/IceCat
- Select the Dynamicweb Provider as the destination provider – you may want to configure it further, depending on your setup
- Select the columns you want to import (usually all of them)
- Name the activity – and review the mapping (Figure 2.1)
If the query used to select products to enrich checks e.g. a workflow state this is where you can apply a constant to the Workflow state field. This ensures that product information is only retrieved once.