Payment is (of course) a critical part of all Ecommerce solutions. As such, understanding the payment process is an important part of managing an Ecommerce solution.
- Customers who go through the checkout process are asked to select a payment method.
- A payment method uses a piece of software called a checkout handler to communicate with an external payment provider – e.g. AuthorizeNET, Paypal, Klarna, QuickPay.
- The payment provider then handles the transfer of funds from the customer to a payment acquirer, typically a bank or an online wallet.
In more practical terms this means that for each payment provider you want to allow your customers to use, you must create a matching payment method.
To create a payment method:
- Go to Settings > Ecommerce > Orders > Payment
- Click New payment in the toolbar to open the payment method window (Figure 1.1)
A payment method consists of four sections:
- The Method section (1)
- The Country rates section (2)
- The Fees section (3)
- The Cart type section (4)
The Method section is used to define the most basic properties – the name, a description, an icon.
The Countries section (Figure 2.1) is used to specify the country context for which this payment method should be available.
The country context is defined by the country set on the billing address of the user or visitor checking out – only the payment methods which have been made available for that country will be rendered. If you add states or regions to an ecommerce country they are also selectable here.
Only the payment methods created in the language set as the default language in the website Ecommerce settings will be rendered in frontend, so on a website with Danish set as the default ecommerce language, only the Danish payment methods are available (Figure 2.2). Of these payment methods, only the ones active for the billing country in the shopping cart are shown.
The Fees section (Figure 3.1) is used to create percentage-based or fixed-amount fees which will be added to the total price of an order when using this payment method.
To create a fee:
- Click Click here to add a new row
- Enter a fee and select a type – amount or percentage
- Select a Total Price at which point the fee will trigger – below this threshold, the fee will not trigger
As with other hierarchies, the more specific fee applies – a region fee trumps a country fee, and a country fee trumps an all countries fee. By default, fees are applied based on the billing country – but you can go to Settings > Ecommerce > Advanced Configuration and use the Fee Calculation setting to use the delivery country instead.
The Cart type section (Figure 4.1) is used to select a checkout handler for the payment method. A checkout handler is a piece of software which integrates with a payment provider such as PayPal or Stripe. You can also select None and simply use the Fees section to charge an appropriate fee for shipping & handling.
Each checkout handler must be configured in accordance with the requirements of the payment provider – please select the appropriate guide below:
|AuthorizeNet & AuthorizeNet AIM|
|Klarna Checkout V2|
|Klarna Invoice and Part payment|
|QuickPay Payment Window|
|PayPal Express Checkout|
|Nets Netaxept (BBS)|
|Field name||Data type||Length|
|Field name||Data type||Length|